If you've already begun the in-person hunt for your wedding gown, you know how overwhelming it can be. However, if you have yet to step foot in a bridal boutique, allow us to shed some light on what is sure to come.
The stylists will ask you for your wedding dress code, the date, venue, and dress length you have in mind. They'll also ask for your style preferences like if you're a fan of beading, rhinestones, lace, and tulle.
And those are just the basic questions. Once a style foundation is laid out, you'll later get into train length, veil style, accessories, shoes, and so much more! With all this in mind, it's important to remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint, and it's best to go in with a game plan.
Arriving with the most basic (albeit, most important) detail in mind will make the search much easier—and for us, that's the silhouette.
What Is a Trumpet Dress?
A trumpet silhouette fits snugly around the waist and hips and flares out mid-thigh. Different from a mermaid silhouette, which flares out at or below the knee.
For brides contemplating the classic trumpet silhouette, you know it's a flared-out style that can be considered a more understated version of the mermaid. It sits fitted at the waist, through the hips, and bells out around the mid-thigh area. Perfect for creating that hourglass figure, trumpet wedding dresses are an excellent place to start your bridal shopping experience and are versatile enough for all aesthetics and brides of all sizes.
So, to help jumpstart your search, we've rounded up the best 20 trumpet wedding dresses you'll want to consider for your big day.
1. Best Plunging Neckline: Rebecca Vallance Harper Gown
Perfect for the daring bride, this deep-V neckline features a mesh insert for support and coverage. Paired with lace sleeves, this gown is an ideal blend of modern and sophisticated.
2. Best Strap Detail: Danielle Frankel Ava Open-Back Wool-Silk Gown
The ivory straps on this wool-silk satin slip dress are undoubtedly the star detail. Featuring a subtle trumpet flare, this gown is equal parts sexy and modern.
3. Best Backless Style: Katie May Lanai Gown
If a backless style is currently on your bridal Pinterest board, then this corded lace gown is for you! Suspended from barely-there straps, you'll certainly turn heads as you walk down the aisle.
4. Best Budget Option: Azazie Tifa BG Gown
Contrary to popular belief, a smaller budget doesn't mean you have to skimp on style. The scoop neckline, chapel-length train, and lace detailing on the sleeve are so sophisticated, you would never guess it costs under $200.
5. For a Courthouse Wedding: Willowby by Watters Sariah Top and Skirt
Get the hourglass-inducing figure of a trumpet dress, without feeling overdressed for your intimate nuptials, with this two-piece look from Willowby by Watters. The lightweight lace and flutter sleeves on the top are just what you need for a courthouse wedding.
6. Best Slit Detail: Rime Arodaky Joni Swiss-Dot Tulle and Crepe Gown
If your heart is set on a thigh-high slit, but you don't want your mother-in-law raising a brow, this gown features a tulle overlay to provide just the right amount of coverage. Even better? The embroidered dots on the delicate, sheer tulle feels wedding day spectacular.
7. Best Tulle Option: Azazie Evetta BG Gown
Because of the flared-out structure, it's not common to find a trumpet style with a tulle skirt. This silhouette features both—courtesy of the thigh-height godets—which results in a whimsical, ethereal look.
8. For the Modern Bride: Naeem Khan Ventura Gown
The allover ribbon detailing coupled with the trumpet silhouette creates a look that feels impossibly modern and fashion-forward. Pair it with fresh and glowy makeup, and a tousled updo to show off the open back.
9. Most Simplistic: Alex Perry Eliza Satin-Crepe Gown
Oftentimes, less is certainly much more. And this satin-crepe gown from Alex Perry proves just that. While we love the simple and elegant impact it has on its own, it leaves room for accessorizing in your own personal way.
10. Best High-Low Style: Likely Clover Gown
While most trumpet silhouettes boast a floor-length hemline, this high-low style is perfect for more casual settings. Take advantage of the shorter front and pair it with a standout shoe.
11. Best Strapless Style: Maggie Sottero Dover Gown
While this dress may look simple at first glance, it boasts sophisticated details. From the corset bodice to the removable arm shashes, this design is perfect for the bride who wants to be bold without looking too flashy.
12. Best Train: Disney Fairy Tale Weddings Platinum Collection Wedding Dress
You may never have another reason to wear a dress with a train again, so take this opportunity while you can. This gorgeous trumpet silhouette with a chapel-length lace train is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of dress.
13. For the Edgy Bride: Zhivago Message To Love Gown
If you're looking to make a fashion statement on your wedding day, this design is it. From the padded shoulders to the high neck, side cutout, and asymmetric embroidery detail, this '80s-inspired gown is one that's sure to be remembered.
14. Best Floral Design: Oscar de la Renta Pressed Floral-Embroidered Trumpet Dress
It doesn't get more feminine than whimsical floral detailing on a wedding dress. Pair this midi-length frock with a loose updo and statement earrings.
15. For the Minimalist Bride: Reformation Geranium Dress
Minimalist doesn't mean plain. This trumpet silhouette looks clean and simple, but the deep-V back and bow detailing make it a subtle stunner.
16. Most Unique: Allison Webb Penelope Wedding Dress
One word: Stunning! You haven't seen a trumpet skirt like this. Draped with an asymmetric sculptural design and chapel-train length, this pearl-encrusted gown is perfect for a formal affair.
17. For a Formal Wedding: Sareh Nouri Emma Off-the-Shoulder Draped Wedding Dress
The diagonally draped off-the-shoulder neckline, paired with covered buttons running down the cathedral-length train, screams sophistication. Pair it with a polished coif for a classic, timeless look.
18. For the Fashion-Forward Bride: Pnina Tornai Wedding Dress With Ruffle Detailing
There isn't a single detail about this gown that doesn't feel utterly fashion-forward. The soft tulle trumpet silhouette embellished with ruffled straps, a bow on the sweetheart neckline, and ruffle details along the hips and hemline are straight out of a fashionista's dream.
19. Best Slip Silhouette: CFWboutique The Maya White Satin Bridal Gown
For brides who want to look and feel sexy on their big dress, look no further. Featuring a ruched deep sweetheart neckline and fitted silhouette, this satin gown is waiting for its moment in the spotlight.
20. Best Lace Option: BHLDN Hayley Paige Tyler Gown
We can't think of a more wedding-appropriate fabric than lace. This form-fitting lace trumpet dress boasts a gorgeous sweeping train, that trails weightlessly behind and delicate cap sleeves.
Searching for a trumpet wedding dress? We've answered three common questions brides have when shopping for this style.
* Are trumpet dresses flattering for all body types? While trumpet dresses are ideal for those who love a body-hugging silhouette, they may not be ideal for those who don't want to emphasize their waist or hips.
* Are trumpet wedding dresses appropriate for black-tie weddings? Definitely! The dramatic fit of a trumpet style makes it a sure win for extravagant celebrations and formal weddings.
* Are trumpet wedding dresses comfortable? If we're being honest, they're not entirely comfortable. The slim fit may require some less-than-comfortable shapewear, but the good news is you can always change into something more comfortable after the ceremony.